Opportunities in the Peruvian horticulture
From March to July 2016 we have assisted the Dutch embassy in Lima with exploring the Dutch opportunities in the horticultural sector. Over the last decade Peruvian export of fresh fruit and vegetables and other high value crops experienced a strong growth.
A suitable climate, favorable geography and positive economic circumstances contributed to a fast upscaling and professionalization in production. Peru nowadays has a diversified offer of agricultural export products among which are asparagus, avocados, grapes, mangoes, mandarins, (organic) bananas, blueberries, quinoa, coffee and cocoa.
These fast developments offer concrete opportunities for NGOs, knowledge institutes and the private sector:
• Knowledge development in agricultural practices and crop management;
• Seed and plant breeding technology;
• (Alternative) agrochemicals and agricultural inputs;
• Irrigation technology;
• Precision agriculture;
• Post-harvest technology (e.g. sorting, grading, packing); Logistics & cold chain management;
• Food processing technology;
• Opportunities in related industries (e.g. dairy, fishery, poultry, food, feed or floriculture).
For the complete report of the factfinding mission, please check its preliminary publication here.